Thursday, February 25

Service Included: Four-Star Secrets of an Eavesdropping Waiter

This was one of the fastest and most fun reads I've had in awhile. In "Service Included," Phoebe Damrosch writes about her life as one of the only female captains (a.k.a. waitresses) at the posh restaurant Per Se in New York City. Her knowledge of food was impressive and it was obvious that she's passionate about serving people some of the best food they will ever have in their lifetimes. As a former waitress, this book was very relatable. I've read a few memoirs by women who at one point in their lives claimed this underappreciated profession as their own, but I think that "Service Included" was my favorite for its brutal honesty and peek into a world so unlike my own.

Per Se is only one of renowned chef Thomas Keller's dining ventures. He also owns The French Laundry in California as well as Bouchon Bistro and Bouchon Bakery with locations in Las Vegas, New York and California. To say the least, Keller has been very successful.

Honestly, I don't know how Phoebe was hired to work at Per Se with her only experience being two stints working in smaller bistros in Brooklyn. I'm guessing that her wit and smooth talking had something to do with it. Some may think her narration is annoying because of her strong liberal leanings and heavy sarcasm, but I enjoyed it. Granted I don't agree with all of her opinions, but I can appreciate her sincerity and passion. 

"Service Included" is not only career-related to Phoebe's life. It also follows her love life as a single 20-something in New York City. Eventually, she starts going out with Andre, a sommelier (if you don't know what that is, it's the resident wine expert of a restaurant). Since they both work at Per Se, they have a lot in common and seem to have chemistry. You'd have to read the book to find out what happens between them, but I will say that I didn't really like his character despite Phoebe's obvious love for him.

"Service Included" made me miss the restaurant business. When Phoebe described the pumping adrenaline her job brought her and the satisfaction of finishing a shift at two in the morning, it reminded me of my walks home after working at my town's local cafe with my hard-earned tips snug in my pocket. Despite the daily demanding customers and usually thankless work, there is still nothing like working as a waitress and the rush it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment