Tuesday, August 30

"Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother"

Chances are you've heard of the last book I read, "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding this book and the Yale law professor who wrote it. Many have taken this book as a "how-to" parenting guide, which according to Chua is not how it is supposed to be read at all. She says that it is simply a memoir of her ups and downs in the realm of child-rearing and ultimately her realization that trying to be a "tiger mother" doesn't always work.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read and had a lot of quite funny moments to it. Maybe it helps that I'm not a mom and can't be offended by Chua's comments about Western parenting... She made a lot of good points though about parenting today. I agree with her that up until a certain age, children shouldn't have a choice when it comes to most issues. What Mom and Dad says goes, and if you don't like it, then too bad. As my dad used to say to me and my siblings, "Life's tough." Although Chua sometimes takes it to the next level (threatening to burn your daughter's stuffed animals if she doesn't play her piano piece perfectly is taking it a little far in my opinion), her love for her daughters is apparent and I think it comes across that all she wants is what's best for them.

I'd be curious to hear what you think, especially all my parents out there. Do you agree with Chua or think she's just plain crazy?

Here's an interview with Chua where she explains her perspective a bit more:


3 comments:

  1. I read the article in Time but I haven't read the book yet. So far I would tend to agree with her most ways.

    My son is only a year, but I require obedience from him because I don't believe he is dumb, I believe he is very intelligent, and I think it shows in his behavior because he knows I expect him to behave properly.

    And when his academic career begins I hope that that knowledge of my confidence in him and my standard for excellence will show in his school achievements as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Time article gives an accurate description of Chua and how she portrays herself in her book. Yes, she's fairly harsh but she also isn't afraid to admit when she's been wrong (especially later in her book).

    I also agree that it's important to hold our kids up to a high standard of excellence. Not that our love for them is based on how well they can do things, but rather that we love and believe in them so much that we only expect the best from them in all they do. Obviously though, I'm not a mom yet and I know it's easier said than done... But I hope I can instill these values and a strong work ethic in my kids once the time comes, just like my parents did with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, work ethic and respect. Great values to pass along.
    That and less Television Time.

    ReplyDelete