Tuesday, October 20

Where the Wild Things Are



My fiance and I just saw Where the Wild Things Are based on the children's book by Maurice Sendak. Although "Where the Wild Things Are" was never one of my favorite books as a child, I thought that the movie did an excellent job of telling this story.

The actual book is only ten lines of text, so the director Spike Jonze (who also directed "Being John Malkovich," one of my favorites) was presented with a challenge in making it a full-length movie. Although he took some liberties with the plot to fill out the length, Jonze still stayed true to Sendak's bizarre story. Sendak apparently loves the movie, saying in an interview that it "enhances, enriches my book."

Despite some poor reviews, I think that "Where the Wild Things Are" is worth seeing. It kept me entertained for the entirety of its hour and a half, and I especially enjoyed the soundtrack, which was an original score by Karen O (from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs) and the Kids.

And hey, the author's stamp of approval is enough for me.

5 comments:

  1. I thought that the movie was well done with great characterizations and many visually pleasing scenes. I didn't not like the movie though. I felt that it reached into my soul and pulled out sadness from far corners that i did not know existed with in me. Through out the movie Max is on the constant edge of being crushed, hit or stepped on by the Wild Things which results in an uneasy watching expereince. The movie pulls you down and fails to you back up again at the end. The conclusion lacks substance. I recommend that you watch a happy movie after watching this one, unless you want to be in a rain cloud for the rest of the day.
    ~Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must not have a heart because I really didn't find it depressing at all. But I have heard a lot of people say exactly what you did.. It is true that Max faces a lot of obstacles and there isn't a true resolution in the end of the movie, but I feel like that's just a realistic portrayal of life. Sometimes things don't make sense.. But he still went back to his home and family with what I felt like was a great appreciation for them in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sean's comments, especially that the conclusion lacked substance (and might I point out was a bit off from the books' ending). I had so many mixed feelings with the movie. I felt the book was better, but that the movie is great on many levels. i just caution folks to 1). not take little kids to it 2). don't expect a "warm fuzzy feeling movie". It had some incredible symolisim. Part of the rawness it left in me is due to my ownlifetime of issues of rage/anger in myself and others close to me. I appreciated the way it was produced. It was an incredible film, but sure left me feeling raw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to add that I feel Spike Lee really added, colored the story line with much of Sendack's disturbed childhood pieces. Lee did do an amazing job on this film.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, this is not a movie for little kids. But, also, it's rated PG not G so that's expected.

    That's a great way to describe how you felt after seeing it- raw. I would have to agree.

    ReplyDelete