Friday, November 13

Annette Vallon


So, I am still reading "The Peabody Sisters" which is no surprise to me since 1) it's a hefty book and 2) I have not had much time to read recently. I am thoroughly enjoying it so far though, and it brought to mind another book about an extraordinary woman that I wanted to share with you.

It's called Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution by James Tipton. It is another long one (528 pages) but it is such a good read that it doesn't matter.

The book is a historical fiction based on the life of Vallon, a lover of the poet William Wordsworth as well as a worker with the underground revolution fighting the Reign of Terror in France. As I was reading Tipton's work, I kept thinking to myself, "How did I never know about this amazing woman?"

"The Peabody Sisters" and "Annette Vallon" have both caused me to appreciate the fact that I am a woman living in the 21st century. Although still many injustices are done to women around the world today, the challenges women faced up until the 20th century were incredible. Annette and the Peabody sisters all went against the grain and fought for their right to education, life and love, and, for this, they should be commended.

No comments:

Post a Comment